BAR FOUNDATION GRANT
The Bar Foundation is pleased to announce the awarding of a grant to improve the administration of justice to the Student Legal Services program at West Virginia University.
The financial grant will be used for continuing education training for the lawyers to fulfill the
mission of Student Legal Services to provide counseling, advice, education, and representation to students to assist them to
resolve legal issues and to foster and support students’ learning development. SAS is committed to protecting the legal rights and interests of the student body by providing high quality legal services at no cost to both undergraduate and graduate students,
individually and collectively, as well as student government and student organizations.
Pictured above are Bar Foundation Board member and WVU Vice President Ken Gray with Student Legal Services representatives Carrie Showalter, on the left, and Jackie Sikora, on the right. (Jackie just completed her term as WV State Bar Young Lawyers Section Chairperson.)
By the end of this month, the Bar Foundation will have made 45 total awards for more than $230,000 since implementing its grants program in 2004, with 38 grants worth more than $215,000 being distributed in just the past six years.
Your tax deductible donations to the Bar Foundation enable these grants to be made to worthwhile West Virginia organizations to enhance legal services and law related activities for our citizens.
BOARD MEETING/ANNUAL MEETING
The Bar Foundation’s Board of Directors held its quarterly meeting on June 5 in Charleston with members using telecommunications to participate from all parts of the state.
The Board made numerous policy decisions including:
* Approving the 2013-14 financial report and the 2014-15 budget.
* Reviewing the growth in the Investment Fund.
* Approving grants approximating $27,000 for the 2013-14 fiscal year with more than $230,000 distributed since the first one in 2004.
* Considering the recent successful Bar Foundation Fellows Dinner/25th Anniversary Celebration and setting the 2015 event for April 23.
* With the extremely favorable evaluations for the Lawyer Leadership Institute in May, the Board agreed to hold the fourth annual event on May 15-17, 2015.
* Electing new Officers for the 2014-15 year–Steven White (South Charleston)-President, Ancil Ramey (Huntington)-Vice President and Jodie Boylen (Parkersburg)-Secretary/Treasurer.
* Agreeing on the hiring of two accounting firms to complete the 2013-14 independent audit and to continue the monthly bank reconciliations.
* Discussing the joint activities of the Bar Foundation Fellows and the American Bar Association Fellows, including the planned mentor project.
Later in the day, the Annual Meeting took place with outgoing President Harry Hatfield’s annual report, the financial report and the election of new Board members.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Bar Foundation commends the four members of the Board of Directors whose terms of office expired at the end of the June 5 Board meeting.
These outstanding individuals gave immense amounts of their time and expertise over the past several years in moving the Bar Foundation forward and attaining many high priority goals and objectives. During the last three years of their terms, they worked with the other Board members to sell the organization’s long held real estate, institute a large Investment Fund, distribute over $100,000 in grants, select top quality Bar Foundation Fellows and initiate two impressive new endeavors—the Lunch and Laughs with a Legal Legend and the Lawyer Leadership Institute.
Congratulations for a volunteer leadership job well done:
Judge Michael Aloi (Fairmont)
Dean Joyce McConnell (Morgantown)
David Webb (Keyser)
Tracey Weber, Jr. (Weston)
Please visit our website at wvbarfound.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing, please click here: [wpmlunsubscribe]
Thomas R. Tinder, Esq.
West Virginia Bar Foundation
Post Office Box 4845
Charleston, WV 25364
The philanthropic organization for West Virginia’s legal profession and justice system.
The information in this message may contain confidential material and is protected from disclosure. If this message has not reached its intended recipient, please be notified that any review, retransmission, retention, dissemination or other use of this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete the information from your system.