The West Virginia Bar Foundation awards grants to non-profit and other charitable organizations which are involved in programs and activities to improve the administration of justice and educate citizens about their rights and responsibilities under the law in West Virginia.
The Bar Foundation generally does not make grants to support annual campaigns or membership drives, budget for operating expenses, sectarian religious programs or activities or political purposes or lobbying.
Grants are awarded after review and consideration by the Bar Foundation’s Board of Directors. A decision on the grant will be made within two consecutive meetings of the Bar Foundation’s Board of Directors after the grant request is received. Applicants will be advised as to decisions regarding each grant request. Grant recipients are required to make follow-up reports to the Bar Foundation within twelve months of receipt of the grant.
Bar Foundation Grants have been awarded to the following groups and organizations:
- Legal Aid of WV-Legal Needs Survey for low income citizens.
- Wheeling Academy of Law and Science (WALS) Foundation-Mock Trial program for students.
- ChildLaw Services-Legal Services for children in Southern West Virginia.
- WV Public Broadcasting-Closed captioning for The Law Works program.
- Charleston Catholic High School-Provision of health care directives to low income citizens.
- Wheeling Jesuit University-Constitution Day program for citizens.
- Junior Achievement- Student leadership program.
- WV Supreme Court-Law Adventure program for middle school students presenting court trials.
- WV Civics Literacy Council-Program to teach civic literacy in school system
- Legal Aid of WV-Implementation of statewide telephone access and legal assistance hotline system.
- The Resource-Initiation of IOLTA Comparability Rule.
- WV State Bar-Delivery of IOLTA pamphlet to all WV practicing attorneys.
- West Virginia University College of Law-Brazil International Law Study Abroad Scholarships.
- We, the People-Participation by WV high school students in national constitution program.
- Harrison County Child Advocacy Center-Forensic interview program for child victims of sexual abuse.
- WV Association of Counties-Documentary film on State’s fifty-five county courthouses.
- Fayette County Education Fund-Student Leadership Program on legal and justice matters.
- WV Alliance for Children-Guardian ad litem handbook.
- Family Counseling Connection-Child abuse and neglect staff training.
- Hi-Y Leadership Center-High school student civic education session.
- The Law Works-Legal affairs public television program.
- Just for Kids-Child abuse prevention program.
- Liberty Day-Constitution education in the schools.
- Monongalia County Child Advocate Center-Behavioral therapy program.
- West Virginia University College of Law-Public Service Scholarship.
- Seven Stories Theatre Company-Anti-bullying in schools program.
- J.R. Clifford Project/Friends of Blackwater-Creation of WV program.
- CASA of Eastern Panhandle-Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Advocacy.
- Logan County Child Advocacy Center-Child Abuse Forensic Interviews.
- Step by Step-Anti-bullying Program.
- WVU Student Legal Services-Student Legal Services Leaders.
- Monongalia County Child Advocacy Center-Child Abuse Forensic Interviews.
- West Virginia University College of Law-Public Service Scholarship
- WV Supreme Court-WV Law Adventure
- Child Protect of Mercer County-Child Victim Forensic Interviews
- Clay County High School-We, the People Program National Competition
- West Virginia University College of Law-Public service Scholarship
- The Children’s Listening Place-Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Advocacy
Download the Grant Proposal Form here.