- Presided over by President John H. Tinney, the Bar Foundation Board meets in person and by teleconference.
As the Bar Foundation completes another calendar year, it is always beneficial to look back at what has been accomplished in the past 12-24 months. The Bar Foundation, through its Board of Directors, has achieved the following goals:
* IOLTA Program-Distributed over $920,000 to entities providing free civil legal services for low income West Virginians and implemented the IOLTA Comparability Rule, as approved by the WV Supreme Court.
* Grants-Authorized more than $55,000 to groups to improve the administration of justice, a 400% increase over what had been distributed in the previous four years.
* Bar Foundation Fellows-Selected thirty-two judges and lawyers to be awarded this prestigious honor.
* Finances-Received two clean annual independent audits, paid off more than $180,000 for all loans from the WV State Bar and added to reserve funds.
* Governance-Made decisions and took actions to operate the Bar Foundation in the most effective and efficient manner.
As the policy making body for a striving organization, the Board of Directors has the following plans for the near future:
* IOLTA Program-Implement the IOLTA2 automated database and enhance the working relationships with the State’s more than eighty banks as interest rates increase from their historic lows.
* Finances-Continue prudent financial operation and become debt-free by 2011.
* Education-Educate the general public with facts and information regarding the Bar Foundation, the legal profession and the justice system.
* Legal Entities- Expand cooperative programs and services with other groups and organizations in the legal community.
HAPPY NEW YEAR-
The West Virginia Bar Foundation and its Board of Directors, a diverse group of fifteen lawyers from all parts of the State and all types of law practice, wish you, your family and loved ones a Happy New Year and hope that 2010 is the best year ever for you!